It has been a year since an election was held to determine if the employees in your bargaining unit would be represented by a union.
Since that time, AFSCME Local 1004 negotiated an agreement for the employees in the Trades Unit. AFSCME met with officials from the Mayor’s Office, Human Resources and various divisions within Trades. Our discussions occurred over a period of approximately two months. Despite negotiations starting late, we secured a number of items that the employees were satisfied with. They are:
* An increase in acting pay (county wide)
* An increase in days off for bereavement leave (county wide)
* An increase in military leave (county wide)
* An increase in standby and callback pay (county wide)
* A reduction in response time for grievances (county wide)
* Shift change notice of 5 days and callback pay for each day less
than the 5 day requirement (trades unit only)
* Snowfighter pay (trades unit only)
* Overtime rotation and reports to AFSCME (trades unit only)
* Full time employees to receive premium shifts (trades unit only)
In less than a year, AFSCME Local 1004 improved the working conditions of its members – we intend to go back to the table this summer and expand on the gains we have made.
We want you to be a part of this process. During these tough times it is more important than ever to be represented by an organization that has YOUR interests at heart. We have accomplished more than any other organization in the County in a very short period of time. Just think what we can accomplish together!
Authorization cards for representation are circulating now. Remember, these are simply cards asking for an election and they are time sensitive. We nearly prevailed last year – let’s get it right this year! You also have my promise that there will not be any house visits. The message from you was loud and clear.
If you have any questions, would like additional information or would like a card sent to you, please respond or contact me directly at 801-694-0192 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.